What goes on in my head every now and then when I don’t want to bike to school.
Commuting by Car
- Cons: Situational: Need to own a car first
- Cons: Situational: Need to have a driving license (I don’t)
- Cons: Economic: Car Insurance, bleagh!
- Cons: Environmental concerns of using a fossil fuel
- Cons: Environmental concerns of the car itself, and the fact that it’s simply very hard to get rid of a car once you’re done with it
- Cons: Road rage
- Cons: Economic: Car value depreciates really quickly
- Cons: Psychological: I’d probably be too tempted to speed and try and drift, based on my experience in videogaming. That, and due to cycling and gaming, I am unable, from experience, to have myself anywhere but centered in a vehicle (as opposed to right or left hand drive).
- Cons: Economic: Parking
- Pros: Convenience of deciding when and where I want to go and being able to act on it.
Commuting by Public Transport
- Pros: Much better lifting capacity than a bike
- Pros: Less sweat than a bike
- Pros: Cheaper than a car overall
- Cons: Still relatively expensive in Sydney compared to other public transportation jurisdictions.
- Cons: Unreliability of service.
- Pros: Environmental: Better efficiency than a car
- Cons: Having to sit with humans shoulder to shoulder, or to stand with other humans armpit to armpit
Commuting by Bike
- Cons: Rain. Snow. Headwind.
- Cons: Requires significant amounts of food.
- Cons: Health: Safety is markedly reduced compared to public transport or a car.
- Pros: Health: Keeps my weight down.
- Pros: Economic: Saves me the price of a gym membership.
- Pros: Significantly faster than public transport during most situations (usually half the time of public transport during rush hour, and at least as fast as public transport during off-peak hours)
- Pros: Environmental: Almost no impact
- Pros: Fun factor
- Pros: Training carries over to other activities
- Pros: Health: Low impact method of significantly reducing my risk of cardiovascular disease
- Pros: Economic: Parking
- Cons: Economic: Park anywhere you want and the bike might get stolen.
- Pros: Beating other cyclists with better bikes up hills
- Cons: Road rage
- Cons: Getting “doored”
- Cons: People jaywalk right into you without looking because they assume if they don’t hear a car that they’re safe.